Who We Are
Melbourne Educators for Social and Environmental Justice (MESEJ) is a broad network of critical educators working in Birraranga (Melbourne) the land of the Wurundjeri and Boonwurrung people of the Kulin nation.
The MESEJ organising collective is mostly made up of teachers working in Victorian public schools, who are active members of the Australian Education Union (AEU).
We acknowledge that Kulin sovereignty has never been ceded and the colonisation of Kulin land continues to this day. We see actively supporting the work of decolonisation as central to our role as critical educators.
- Build a supportive community of critical educators
- Develop our understanding of what is happening to public education and how we can address systemic injustices through our work as educators
- Share ideas and resources for teaching practices and curriculum that empower our students and communities
- Challenge unjust (e.g. neo-liberal, racist, sexist and homophobic) education policies and promote more just alternatives at the federal, state and school level
- Empower rank and file action within our unions
- Strengthen teacher agency
- Organise workshops for critical educators and public forums on educational issues
- Host social events for critical educators
- Run campaigns for more just education policies
- Work within our education unions
- Facilitate a Facebook group to provide an online platform for critical educators to share ideas and resources
*All MESEJ platforms and events are moderated in accordance with our Safe and Inclusive Spaces Policy.